According to many studies, dust mites are part of household dust and they have a lot of species. Typically, they thrive in moist and porous places, such as the places where they can get plenty of food. Generally, mites can be found on stuffed animals, curtains, rugs, sofas, blankets, pillows, and mattresses. If you want to control the infestation of these tiny creatures in your home, we suggest that you follow the tips given below.
- First of all, you should try to control humidity in your rooms through proper ventilation, especially in your bedroom.
- You should place cushions, duvets, pillows, and mattresses in the sun from time to time. This is important if you want to kill the mites on the surfaces of these items.
- It’s better to use anti-mite covers on pillows and mattresses, especially the ones made from cotton. The good thing is that anti-mite covers prevent mites from making their way into your bedding. So, you can sleep well at night.
- Don’t forget to change the bed sheets, blankets, pillowcases, and bedsheets. For washing them, you should use hot water. The temperature of the water should be more than 132 degrees F.
- Once you have washed your outfits, you should store them in a storage bag that is vacuum-packed. This practice will help you protect your clothing from mites, bacteria, and fungi.
- It’s not a good idea to go for feather pillows and blankets.
- Once you get up in the morning, don’t make the bed until after one hour. This is to allow any excess sweat and humidity to leave your pillows and blankets.
- It’s better that you invest in a vacuum cleaner that comes with HEPA filters. The good thing about these filters is that they can filter over 99% of microorganisms, such as allergens and dust mites.
- For cleaning floors and furniture, you should always go for a damp cloth. The idea is to prevent the dispersal of dust.
- Investing in a good air purifier is a stroke of genius. Actually, a good air purifier can help reduce eliminate dust mites, viruses, bacteria, fungi and allergens in your home. Apart from this, they can help alleviate many allergic diseases.
- Your kids’ toys may collect a lot of mites over time. So, you should try to go for the least number of stuffed toys in your rooms.
According to many studies, one gram of dust contains up to 100 dust mites. They can cause allergy sensitization and these reactions may not that severe. But if there are 500 dust mites, this may cause a severe problem, such as allergy or asthma.
Generally, a mattress contains up to 10 million mites. Although you can’t get rid of them altogether, make sure you follow some measures to reduce their number in your home. What you need to do is keep your home dry and clean at all times.
In short, you can follow these 11 tips to control dust mites in your home. Hope this helps.